Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Strings Strung Together

Juaréz by Elaine DeKooning


























This is the  attempt to make a fragmented poem with stolen lines from this week's poets, spliced with my own prose in places.  It's a mess, hopefully a beautiful one. *sigh* Speaking of beautiful messes, I think this picture by  Elaine DeKooning is a great companion to the ideals of beauty, fragmentation, and abstraction. _______________________________________________
A Vision

Anybody with twenty dollars can have a vision.
They can buy new moments
that seep in -
pulse beneath the skin.

Without the sun to interfere
shadows, red and orange lights 
poke through windows, like stone wings 
and they don't fit into little pretty places.

You taught me to exist without gratitude. 
Conceit leaps back into me on your wet kiss.
Bright stars in your eyes when I cut
someone down, their feelings 
would drain from their face and pool
at their feet.

I thought it was because we
were righteous. Because
I am goddamned fuckin’ beautiful.
And you saw me.

But the walking dead don't 
make me laugh. They tell me those stars
are named woodworm.
The room, this bed, and the bones of my arms,
have been found out.
I am sick in solitude, in the rain, and in the roads. . .

Last night I'd been trying my best to explain
something important. It seemed boring to apologize 
to weeds and insincere as well.
Years later, I can bring blood closer 
to the surface of my skin.
It’s a beautiful wound.

No comments: